Total Pageviews

Thursday, July 29, 2010

Parental Blues

It's been a long holiday. No server and all!

It started with my visit to Delhi with a sole mission of finding a decent dwelling for my son who has just picked up a job. And guys, that was not easy. It's not just finding a room! It's all about finding good neighbours, good companions and good surroundings for your very own flesh and blood-whom you have raised with lots of expectations. In fact, I had almost finalized a room on the terrace of one of the housing societies- a walking distance from my Dad's colony. Alas, only to discover later that the boy he was to share the bathroom with, was in fact a good year or two older than me! What's more, he was given to heavy drinking. He also had a grown -up daughter who stayed with him. It was all very risky. I certainly didn't agree with the statement of the landlady," After all, the man is earning Rs70,000 per month! So what is wrong?" The images of Ratan Tata, Narayan Murthy, Nandan Nilekeni flashed before my eyes. These great men knew how to keep themselves busy usefully. Certainly, high salary was no justification for a wrongful behaviour. Further, I was not going to allow my son's mind be polluted this way. There are a lot of good things to be done in life. Drinking is no way.

Anyway, all is well that ends well! We succeeded in getting a flat just opposite my dad's in the same residential colony. And it happened on the 3rd or 4th day of our search, putting to rest all my woes and fears. All was forgotten when we met our ever trustworthy and helpful family friends' -the great Sharmajis' and Nandis' soon after. I don't know what we do without them. They have always been there to lend their shoulders in times of difficulty.


No comments:

Post a Comment