Total Pageviews

Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Love and Forgiveness

Gosh! it's been quite sometime since I wrote. I had unexpectedly got caught in other activities that were important (atleast for me). You know how it is for a housewife!



I respect Sri Sri Ravi Shankar. I also read " The Speaking Tree"-- a column that appears daily in The Times Of India. At my age ( middle aged as I am) ,the thoughts give me much solace. And this, I must truly admit! But something that I don't agree is total forgiveness. How do you forgive someone who has wrecked your home? How do you forgive someone who has deliberately not given you promotion or increment?Just because, it made him or her feel very powerful? Or for that matter, raped or molested an innocent girl? Worse still, thrown acid at someone?



Forgiving such people is calling for more trouble. I believe that, 'Just as too much of sweetness is harmful, too much of forgiveness is harmful too.' And frankly, "wearer knows where the shoe pinches". Yes, I do agree with the advice that we have to learn to forget and also help the victim forget the incident. But, these obnoxious people need to be given punishment at the earliest possible.Yes, my reference is to the serial molester case(Page 3 The Times Of India dated July 2,08).



With all due respect to the Great Thinkers, I wish to state one thing that too much of holy thoughts very often go overboard. No wonder crime and vengence are increasing at such an alarming rate.











2 comments:

  1. I think, for bad actions on the part of someone punishments should be given in such a way to correct that person so that he will not commit the same crime again and then forgive him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Su, i agree with u tht Forgiveness is a virtue of the powerful, but in some extreme cases it bcomes extremely difficult to forvive and forget esp. if it caused an irrepairable damage. But i even go wid Sri Sri. This is bcoz, Firstly, after a certain time of practicing spirituality u develop a certain level of maturity and then u exactly know how much is forgiveness needed. Like if ur kid breaks a flower vase in the mornin while u go to office, u need to forgive and forget or else u ll waste ur whole day by becoming angry about it. But if someone is raped and left to rot, u cant imagine to do the same thing. it neeeds to be brought to justice. (And this is wht Sri Sri meant juz tht Knowledge can be very manipulative). Not to forget tht even the ancient rishis used curses(shraps). But Secondly, i believe tht even if half the population on the earth starts thinking tht they are here to not be juz mere human beings or homo sapiens but a model of such a person tht the rest can like upto. A higher level of Human Being wid a lot more acceptance (mind not tolerance), love, compassion, mature intellect and Oneness. Then, in the first place Bad situations and actions wud not evolve. As Sri Sri says "A Balance is Needed."

    ReplyDelete