Total Pageviews

Saturday, November 14, 2009

Sans Feeling or Inhuman! We Indians?

My son,who studies at a leading law college, was upset the other day. It seems, an established criminal lawyer was invited to their esteemed institute to deliver a guest lecture. And so some forty odd students, comprising both boys and girls and two lady professors sat listening with rapt attention.

In the course of his lecture, he discussed the various cases he had fought and won. All was well till he came to the part when he said how he had saved a client who had been charged with murder. The advocate mentioned in passing that the man had committed seven-eight murders before that. My son could take no more. "But what about the Professional Ethics, Sir " He asked. The advocate, who was presumably in his thirties replied a trifle annoyed that it was his profession to defend his client. My son couldn't contain himself and so this time addressed the lady professors. But, he was instead asked to sit down.

The Defence Advocate probably felt challenged. And this time he rattled something that was even more obnoxious than before. He said that he had once saved a man charged with raping a minor girl. The man had before that raped seven more minor girls. Surprisingly, in a hall packed with as many girls as boys (not to forget the two lady teachers), there was just one girl who stood up to protest.

Later when my son recounted the horrible tale, I exclaimed with disgust at the rape. It was at that, that my son checked me, "Aai(Mom)! Rape or murder both are bad. In fact any crime is bad. A Defence Lawyer's job is not to save the skin of a criminal but to place a clear picture before the judge. That is what is being done in Kasab's case."

While I felt proud of my son, I don't really know what to say about the rest of the audience particularly the girls and the teachers who allowed the lecture to take place in that manner. I really wonder if our leading Supreme Court lawyers and political leaders such as Kapil Sibal, Abhishek Singhvi, Arun Jaitley, Ravishankar Prasad would also support the lecture? It really makes me think, "Are we as a nation, sans any feeling or just plain and simple inhuman!"

No comments:

Post a Comment