Total Pageviews

Thursday, May 8, 2008

Women's Bill

The year was probably 2003! A male candidate in the Entrance Test of B.J. Course wrote,"Mahila Arakshan Bill agar pass hona hota to ab tak kab ka pass ho gaya hota!" I remember giving him marks lavishly. At barely 22-23 years, the young man had displayed remarkable observation.

And now when the bill is tabled, (even though a woman), I am still not sure of my feelings! One part tells me to congratulate the gutsy Renuka Choudhary, Sushma Swaraj, Brinda Karat and others. The other part brings to memory stories I have heard. Of how 'women surpanch', after being elected have handed over the responsibilities to their respective husbands and sons. Will the same thing be repeated here too? The matter could get serious then. The bill should have some clause in that case.

I believe in one thing- Power should never be handed over so easily to anybody. It is bound to be misused. Let women be given a chance to stand in the elections. The rest can be decided by the public. For," Power corrupts and Absolute Power corrupts absolutely".

No comments:

Post a Comment